The Department maintains a lively atmosphere of regular support for visiting scholars who enrich our program and the experience of our graduate and undergraduate students tremendously.
The DAAD (German Academic Exchange Service) regularly funds a lecturership in our department. Jenny Fischer is DAAD Lecturer in 2012-2013.
The Mellon Foundation has supported scholars of German Studies at the University of Illinois as well. Most recently, Kristine Nielsen was Mellon Postdoctoral Fellow in the Humanities (2010-2012).
The Department regularly receives funding from the Max Kade Foundation to support scholars from Germany who teach here for a semester, build connections with our students and faculty, and enliven our program. In Spring 2013, our Visiting Distinguished Max Kade Professor is Dr. Matthias Erdbeer (Universität Münster).
Our most recent Max Kade Professors are:
- Dr. Matthias Erdbeer, Universität Münster (Spring 2013)
- Dr. Andrea Geier, Universität Trier (Spring 2011)
- Dr. Andrea Grafetstätter, Universität Bamberg (Fall 2009)
- Dr. Gertrud Roesch, Universität Heidelberg (Spring 2009)
- Dr. Birgit Dahlke, Humboldt-Universität Berlin (Spring 2008)
- Dr. Hania Siebenpfeiffer, Universität Greifswald (Spring 2007)